Nominations open for $1 million Global Teacher PrizeJune 22, 2017, 10:20 am GMT
Nominations have opened for the 2018 Global Teacher Prize. An initiative of the Varkey Foundation, the annual event awards $1 million to an exceptional teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to their profession.
The nomination process will close on October 8, 2017. The top 50 finalists will be announced in December, follwed by the top 10 finalists, and the winner will be announced at the Global Education & Skills Forum in Dubai in March 2018.
This will be the fourth edition of the annual prize. Previous winners include Nancie Atwell from the United States, Hanan Al Hroub from Palestine, and Maggie MacDonnell from the Canadian Arctic.
Applicants for the Global Teacher Prize will be judged on a rigorous set of criteria to identify an extraordinary teacher who has made an outstanding contribution to the profession. The Academy will look for evidence of:
- Achieving demonstrable student learning outcomes in the classroom.
- Employing innovative and effective instructional practices that are replicable and scalable to influence the quality of education globally.
- Recognition of a teacher's achievements in the classroom and beyond from pupils, colleagues, head-teachers or members of the wider community.
- Helping children become global citizens through providing them with a values-based education, which equips young people with life and work skills and prepares them for a world where they will encounter people from many different nationalities, cultures and religions.
- Achievements in the community beyond the classroom that provide unique and distinguished models of excellence for the teaching profession and others.
- Encouraging teachers to stay in the profession and develop their skills as well as encouraging others to join the teaching profession.
The Prize is open to currently working teachers who teach children that are in compulsory schooling, or are between the ages of five and 18. Teachers who teach on a part-time basis are also eligible, as are teachers of online courses.
"Two Middle East teachers among 50 shortlisted for USD1 million Global Teacher Prize 2018
echo $body; ?>December 14, 2017, 7:29 am
"Cover interview: Maggie MacDonnell
echo $body; ?>April 6, 2017, 10:08 am
"Former education ministers to advise governments on global education challenges
echo $body; ?>March 25, 2017, 2:20 pm
"Photos: Global Education & Skills Forum 2017
echo $body; ?>March 21, 2017, 6:50 am
"Education technology in classrooms takes a beating
echo $body; ?>March 21, 2017, 5:53 am